CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

DS1307

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andys

DS1307
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

I have a DS1307 pcb module and i have little confusion about the power supply which is needed.

Can i used it with 3.3V power supply? (I read somewhere that need 5V but the battery is 3.6V)
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

According to the datasheet the Supply voltage is 5 volts(4.5...5.5).
So, NO, you cannot use with a 3v3 power supply.
Vbat( the backup..keep alive supply) is 3volts. You use a typical 'coin cell' battery for Vbat.

hth
jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 am     Reply with quote

3.6v is too high for the battery. The specification in the data sheet is 3.5v _max_.

You need to distinguish what things ''do'. The battery keeps just the clock part of the chip running, _not_ the logic interface to the outside world.

If a supply is present on the main rail, that is more than approximately 1.3*Vbat, the logic interface wakes up, and the clock runs from the main supply. If the supply drops below 1.284*Vbat, the logic interface goes 'off', and just the clock keeps running off the battery.

The specification for Vbat, is 2v min, 3.5v max.
The specification for Vcc is 4.5v min, 5.5v max.

If the battery is as high at 3.6v, there is no guarantee that the switch over to running off the main rail, will happen correctly.

So, as temtronic says, 'no' the chip can't run off 3.3v. It needs 4.5v min, and your battery needs to be a slightly lower voltage type.

Best Wishes
asmallri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
If the supply drops below 1.284*Vbat, the logic interface goes 'off', and just the clock keeps running off the battery.

To round out the discussion, the key word above is "drops". If there is no battery installed and instead a pull down resistor or link is used between VBAT and ground the DS1307 logic interface and all time keeping functions will work correctly (there is no falling edge). The DS1307 definitely does not run from 3.3 volts (I tried it).

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: