CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

rrrrr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vortexe9000

rrrrr
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

ertefvv

Last edited by vortexe9000 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Code is easy AFTER you decide on what PLC type modules you're going to use. We can't give you code examples until YOU have real hardware.
Choices include make your own,X-10 style, commercial products....
There are X-10 examples in the CCS examples folder
vortexe9000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

efgege

Last edited by vortexe9000 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

I suggest you find a premade 'module' that allows simple RS232 (serial) data to Power line transfers.
There are hundreds of details that you have to work out, the worst of course , is getting 'type approval' or local electrical code approval.
By using a premade module, it will be tested and legal for use in your area.Only you know the datarates required for the project,quantity to sell,etc.
The Internet is a great resource to find this type of equipment unlike 25 years ago when the only option was to handbuild everything!
bkamen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

I did something like that last year (maybe the one before that) using that very module.

Once you have the hardware, the PIC's just use 1200bps from the UARTs (like RS232 - but not) and you also have to detect collisions.

That's why CCS doesn't have "sample code" -- because there isn't any needed. It's #USE RS232 all the way...

cheers,

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

whoa. I forgot how big that pic is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

It's just the right size for an old guy like me to be able to SEE the components to solder...!!
bkamen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

hahaha...

That's what magnifiers (or micro-scope cam's) are for!

-Ben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Back on topic.
Vortexe9000: I'm missing the specifications in your original question.
- What distance should the communication between the PICs cover? In-house or long distance over the power grid?
- What is the desired minimum baudrate?
- What is the environment? (230V or 110V, 50Hz or 60Hz?)
- Quantity? Hobby project or 1000's of certified modules?
- National regulations? For example FCC (USA) and CENELEC (Europe) specify different frequency bands.
- etc.

Specifying the use of a PIC16F877 is something most customers don't care about. First you start with the High Level Requirements like the ones mentioned before and then you work down to a detailed design. From this design you will get an idea of how many I/O pins, memory space and processing power are required. Only then you should make the decision for which processor will fit your project. Working the other way around like you are doing now will lead to major problems later on in your project.

For low quantities, i.e. less than 50 pieces, I suggest you buy a ready made module. This will be cheaper, safer (Mains voltage can kill) and saves your neighbours from induced radio noise.

For example for long distance communication you could search the internet for "Automatic Meter Reading".
While for in-house communication you could search for the ancient X-10 or newer HomePlug modules.
http://www.yitran.com is a company I never heard of before but looking at their website produces components for PLC both local and remote. They also sell ready made modules.

When you still decide on building your own device, then please answer the questions listed above. Many more components are available than the two devices you have found, but without more detailed info we can not give you a better answer.
vortexe9000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am     Reply with quote

sdfnnb

Last edited by vortexe9000 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
ckielstra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

My electronics experience for PLC is very limited but power lines are a difficult transmission medium so expect baud rates much lower than your 115k2, expect something in the range 600 to 7500 bps.
Your 230V/50Hz powerline system is similar to the European standard so I suggest you search for devices supporting the European CENELEC standard.

"Smart Meters", "Smart Grid", "Automatic meter reading" and "remote meter reading" are highly popular subjects where many manufacturers have started to produce components and modules. Searching the internet it is overwhelming how much information can be found. Many initiatives have started, some already died again, and it seems like no favourite method has risen yet as an indication of PLC being a difficult technology.
PRIME (PoweRline Intelligent Metering Evolution) alliance: http://www.prime-alliance.org/technology.php
A conference: http://smartgrid.darnell.com/
A modemchip manufacturer: http://www.arianecontrols.com/powerline.php
Other chip manufacturers are Fujitsu, Yitran, ON-semiconductor

Here is a good technical article on PLC basics: http://www.iet.unipi.it/f.giannetti/documenti/powerlines/PowerLineCom/Bibliografia/Rif36.pdf

Power Line Communication (PLC) is not a CCS related topic, you will get more and better answers on an electronics specialized forum like:
www.edaboard.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: