CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC24FJ32GA002 Program Memory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFern

PIC24FJ32GA002 Program Memory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a bootloader (similar to ccs example bootloader) which can download a target application to the program memory over UART.

This bootloader does not changing the address 0, which contains a GOTO to bootloader's main address.

I have noticed that for some reason, ISR region is not updating with correct values.

I cross checked with the record's values against program memory written values. Also I did a printf just before write_program_memory function. All I can see is it does not writing which it should write.

All the other program memory seems okay.

I have a program memory table snap shot here, problem is with addresses: 0x24, 0x2A, 0x50. These values updating to something else, but not for the values in records.

Your comments are highly appreciated.

Code:

Line  Address  Opcode          Label                        Disassembly             

1   0000   044C00                         goto 0x004c00                         
     2   0002   000000                         nop                                   
     3   0004   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
     4   0006   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
     5   0008   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
     6   000A   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
     7   000C   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
     8   000E   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
     9   0010   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    10   0012   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    11   0014   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    12   0016   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    13   0018   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    14   001A   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    15   001C   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    16   001E   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    17   0020   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    18   0022   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    19   0024   000900                         nop                                   
    20   0026   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    21   0028   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    22   002A   0009A0                         nop                                   
    23   002C   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    24   002E   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    25   0030   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    26   0032   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    27   0034   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    28   0036   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    29   0038   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    30   003A   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    31   003C   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    32   003E   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    33   0040   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    34   0042   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    35   0044   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    36   0046   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    37   0048   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    38   004A   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    39   004C   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    40   004E   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    41   0050   000C20                         nop                                   
    42   0052   FFFFFF                         nopr                                   
    43   0054   FFFFFF                         nopr   
FvM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 am     Reply with quote

An obvious assumption is, that the bootloader is designed to keep block 0 of the program flash or that the block has been write protected.

As discussed in previous threads about PIC24 bootloader design, both would be reasonable measures to make a fail-safe bootloader. But of course, interrupts have to be redirected in this case and bootloader must be aware of the interrupts used in the application.

If your bootloader is freely overwriting block 0, there may be a problem with the correct handling of non-continuous flash images in your programming function.
LFern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:02 am     Reply with quote

FvM, Thanks for that info.

If I started with bootloader, first time I can download the target application without any problem. in this case, I can see the ISR region is all FF before downloading the target application.

At first time downloading, it keeps location 0 unchanged and do update the required ISR's with correct values.

If I run this second time, it does not update the ISR region with correct values. Instead ISR region is updated with some other values. these incorrect values remain same even if I did the process again and again starting with a empty program memory.

simplify the process:
started with ISR address, 0xFF -> updated to 0xABC -> updating to 0xDDD -> unchanged 0xDDD.
-> indicates a download process.

My really concern is why write_program_memory function writes invalid values at the second time?

If any erase problems are there, why it writing at the very first instance?

Any clues?
FvM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:09 am     Reply with quote

It's a question of how code for block 0 is arranged in your *.hex file. If it's continuous, there should be no problem. If you are including hex image data in your project, they may be non-continuous.

As a test, you can load and rewrite the hex file with MPLAB, which makes the hex data continuous. If it's working with the regenerated hex file, than it's a problem of the said kind.
LFern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:50 am     Reply with quote

The target hex file is something like:

:04004800A00D000007
:04005400EA0D0000B1
:0400A000740E0000DA
:100400003220EF00C3202000008041001040BA00DD
:100410000160EF0000000600537500006E00000050

which first 3 records are for 3 ISR's and it seems it is non-continuous.

According to these 3 records, ISR address values should be DA0, DEA and E74. but when I write this the second time, these values are not correct.
FvM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
which first 3 records are for 3 ISR's and it seems it is non-continuous.

This kind of non-continuous data will most likely work. The case I was referring to should be more exactly classified as non-monotonic. It can happen, if you have e.g. bootloader *.hex data imported to the project.

I had some problems of this kind, when I implemented a PIC24 bootloader with a previous PCD version. I added a sector buffer to the bootloader flash programming code to handle non-monotonic programming data. There have been also changes to the write_program_memory() function, so I don't know for sure which programming data will be accepted by recent PCD versions.
LFern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

I hard coded following in my bootloader. which should update to the second value. but it is not. Now I can feel that write_program_memory function does something funny here.

Code:

//0x24 is one of the problematic ISR address.

char buff[4];
buff[0] = 0x11;
buff[1] = 0x22;
buff[2] = 0x00;
buff[3] = 0x00;
write_program_memory(0x24, buff, 4);
delay_ms(100);

//read program memory through MPLAB:
//seen values are updated correctly at 0x24.

buff[0] = 0x33;
buff[1] = 0x44;
buff[2] = 0x00;
buff[3] = 0x00;
write_program_memory(0x24, buff, 4);

//read program memory through MPLAB:
//seen values are updated to some thing else.

My compiler version is PCD 4.119.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

You need to understand memory write pages.

Read the 'additional notes', under the write_program memory command.

Then realise that the write_program memory command, _will not erase a page, unless you write to the first address in the page_.

So, when you write '11','22','00','00' the first time, the page is empty, and the write is OK. Then on the second write, since there is no erase, the _extra_ bits you specify, get set 'on top' of what you have already written, so you should see (I Think), '33','66','00','00'.....

To write these bytes, you need to read the _entire_ page into a RAM buffer, change the bytes you want, and write the whole page back, which will then trigger an erase, since you then write the first byte.

This is what FvM had to do - "I added a sector buffer to the bootloader flash programming code to handle non-monotonic programming data."
You need to do the same.

This is also why the default bootloader assumes you do not change the boot, and interrupt handler addresses, leaving these fixed as first written.

Best Wishes
LFern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all, I make it to work!

Added a sector buffer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: