CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Is the Load-n-Go working for ANYONE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does your Load-n-Go work for you?
You bet!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sort of...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Never.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
My what? :)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

soundscu

Is the Load-n-Go working for ANYONE?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:36 am     Reply with quote

This week I purchased a Load-n-Go. As far as I can tell, it doesn't correctly set ANY of the configuration bits.

If I display the config bits using the ccs load application, change them to the correct values (an arduous task for a PIC18F4431, because there are so many options), it doesn't seem to actually change anything.

And if I click Save at that point, IT OVERWRITES THE ORIGINAL HEX FILE WITH ERRORS!!! (After giving up with the Load-n-Go and returning to an ICD2, I wasted an hour trying to figure out why it didn't work either -- until I noticed that the date/time of the hex file was changed. A back-up file from before I used the Load-n-Go worked fine.)

This is utterly unacceptable. I couldn't be more disgruntled. Is anyone having any better luck? Perhaps I'm doing something dumb?

Thanks for your help,
Jim
mp035

Just got my load-n-go and nothing works
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:01 am     Reply with quote

I just received one and have spent 5 hours trying to get it to work. IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.

Short list of bugs when used to program a dspic33fj12gp201:

1) if you export a hex file from mplab and include User ID, the file is identified as corrupt.

2) if you export the hex file with the configuration bits, they are not identified correctly and the target won't verify.

3) if you change the configuration bits in ccsload and use the "Save As" button, the file it creates is twice the size of the original, and is identified as corrupt once reloaded

4) If you enable code protect, the load-n-go won't program the target without a PC, however direct programming works.

5) You can't blank check a target without a file loaded.

6) if you try to access the diagnostics tab without first selecting a target (like when you simply want to upgrade the firmware) ccsload will lock up.

This is positively the WORST PROGRAMMER I HAVE EVER USED. It is even worse than my DIY programmer with free software.

DO NOT BUY A LOAD N GO -- edit: This problem was resolved by emailing CCS support.

Last edited by mp035 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
mp035

Just contact CCS support
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Just a note on my post above, I passed the major problem on to CCS support, and got a reply with some firmware, and updated the ccsload program. All is now working.

So scratch the above remark, If you have problems email CCS support.
TheMattster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Also having problems with the config bits on a 18F4620, support is working with me as this is extremely important for my company. I'm sure they will fix it, but this is not how it should be done. You don't have your customers debug your flaky software!

Still, this is the ONLY option! No other company makes a hand-held standalone PIC programmer.

-Matt
soundscu

other handheld programmers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

In the past I've used portable programmers from Kanda.com, which were problematic for various reasons but generally ended up working when I needed them.

more recently I've been using the Microchip PICkit2 as a portable programmer. It has a mode where you can load it with code, then use it on it's own. It requires a 5V power supply plugged into the miniUSB plug, which is simple to come up with. So far, this hardware has been the most reliable for me.

Note that (as of the last time I checked) the PICkit3 does NOT have this functionality -- get the PICkit2 is you want to use it as a programmer without a host PC.

Jim
TheMattster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks a TON Jim. I just looked at the PICkit2, it fits the bill perfectly. Plus, you can use it as a logic analyzer!

Amazing.

I owe you!

Very Happy

-Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: