CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Reboot -WHY?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Mackinnon

Reboot -WHY?????
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:22 am     Reply with quote

I remain bemused... just WHY is a reboot required after installing an upgrade to the compiler/IDE?

Surely it is time you fixed this annoyance?

BTW this is posted here despite the fact they do not read the forum because CCS blocks emails from overseas email addresses - Way to go for encouraging overseas trade CCS!
ckielstra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:55 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
just WHY is a reboot required after installing an upgrade to the compiler/IDE?

My subscription ran out so I don't have the latest compiler version, but up to version 4.057 I never had to reboot my Windows XP machine after installing a new version. And I can say I have installed many new versions...

Quote:
CCS blocks emails from overseas email addresses
They must only be blocking emails comming from the UK. I never heard this complaint before and my emails from Holland always got a response.

Which compiler version number are you using?
What compiler package (PCM, PCW, PCWH, etc) ?
On which platform (Windows, Linux)?
Alex Mackinnon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:37 am     Reply with quote

I have been using it for about 4 years I think.

I have almost always had to reboot after installing an update - both when using XP and when, currently, using Vista. The installation tells me I need to reboot at the end and if I delay the reboot I can see that the version number for the IDE, PCB and PCM will have updated but the version number for PCH will stay at the old level until *after* the reboot.

This is true of the last version 4.071 too.

[Edit] They do seem to have fixed the problem of their email server bouncing messages from me straight back - or at least I haven't had a 'cannot accept email from this domain' message yet!
Wayne_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:27 am     Reply with quote

Having just looked in my CCS directory I can see a DLL in there, Therefore this is a windows issue and the only way an upgrade can know for sure that it is using the correct DLL is by requesting a reboot.

This is because once a DLL has been loaded Windows keeps it in memory. When you come to replace it either the copy would fail or it would just replace the one on the disk, so when you run the compiler again windows knows the DLL is loaded in memory and uses that one which happens to be the old one.
If the installer cannot overwrite the file because it is being used then it can force windows to do this on re-boot. If it can overwrite it the it needs windows to start using the new version when you use the compiler. The only sure way to do this is via a reboot. Most of the time you can just cancel the request and the computer will carry on regardless.
Matro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:36 am     Reply with quote

Never had to reboot too.

Matro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: