CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Version 4 Comments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

I cant get anything working.

I'm sticking with 3.249 for a LONG time it seems. Since this whole 4.0 seems to be months behind and shows no signs of ever getting 16bit or DSPic working.

Oh well. I think I'm going to consider C18
Storic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Sad in addition to not being able to instal V4, Tried on several PC, I even turned off all virus and anti hach software. (I opened upmy PC for all to see, I am still unable to use V4. Sad
even in safe mode, I still cant install Crying or Very sad

Rolling Eyes Andrew Confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Welcome to the 'club'....
What amused me, is getting an email, asking me to submit comments on V4, when I still haven't been able to get it...
Hopefully they will work out what is going on soon.
I have to wonder what was wrong with the old download system, which worked fine...

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Something tells me that they have invested too much time to drop thier fancy pants dl manager. I'm sure whoever's idea it was has way to much pride to just drop it.

No No, simply going to web page and downloading the latest version is sooooo 2002. You NEED an indirect download manager that over complicates things, takes longer to update your complier, and if your lucky, doesn't work at all.
KamPutty

I'm bummed...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

Wow! This is a scary thread!

My faith in CCS's ability to provide a stable (eg. tested) Pic compiler is really being tested. I'm stuck with version 3.234 and I have no faith that there will be a stable product in the near time.

I cannot spend time worrying if the error is due to my end or the compilers! I need to be debugging my code, not theirs!

Don't get me wrong, I have alot of their hardware, which I love (Their Software Proto Board is simply the best proto enviroment IMHO), but as a consumer that relies on their product (compilers), and as a programmer of many many many years, it astounds me that they can release a product that contains so many issues, and their lack of regression testing! It just kills me!

Since I am stuck with 3.234 for the near future, can anyone provide a list of known bugs per version? I just spent some time last week (thanks PCM Programmer for the help) finding a compiler error, setup_oscillator method does not correctly set the uP in 4x PLL mode, just should not happen this late in the game.

I guess I could look at the release notes of the newer version, but that will not contain the new errors like the one I just found.

Sorry for venting Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

~Kam (^8*
treitmey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Remember that V4 is Beta, not a production version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

treitmey wrote:
Remember that V4 is Beta, not a production version.

I know...I know...I'm just in a grumpy mood today I guess! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

...I'm gonna stop now and go kick my dogs...

~Kam "I'm all better now!" (^8*
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

It seems like there are some problems with the download manager - it appears that there is some kind of proxy or router that is corrupting the protocol that we cannot recreate here.

Here's the raw URL you can use to download PCW Beta Version 4:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/cgi-bin/update.cgi?uid=Web&customer=MyName&rnum=MyRef&action=pcw4

Replace MyName with your name.
Replace MyRef with your username.
Replace pcw4 with pcwh4, pcm4, pcb4, pcm4, (etc) if you want something other than PCW Beta V4.

Anyone with Ethereal who is having problems using the download manager, please use Ethereal to take a capture of the 1st minute of using the download manager and send the log to me.

If anyone who is having problems with the CCS download manager, but have a different 3rd party download manager, please try using the raw URL above and let me know if you have the same problems with your 3rd party download manager.

I like the 'fancy pants' comment (btw, I don't have fancy pants - I wear regular pants just like you). You do not have to use the download manager if you don't want too in the final release, but it is needed during the beta (unless you use the raw url provided above) so non-beta testers don't accidentaly download the beta 4 version. One of the primary reasons it was developed was because some people, mostly on a slow-dialup, needed a method that allowed them to download it in segments - the download manager allows this, and has download crash recovery.

It appears that some of you are unhappy with the download manager performance right now, but if we can keep it constructive and civil we will all be able to work through it together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

Darren,
The PIC Wizard is not enabled in my version. Is this correct?

Would it be possible to get a quick and dirty list of the items that should not be enabled/working at this point (i.e. most of the documentation stuff doesn't work for me) so I know which ones we (the beta testers) should be looking at?

Overall, once the compiler settles I think it will be great!
rajenkins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

After trying various things for the Name and Username, it appears you should use the Name and (full, hyphenated) reference number exactly as you would use in the standard CCS Version 3 download page.

i.e. http://www.ccsinfo.com/cgi-bin/update.cgi?uid=Web&customer=Fred%20Bloggs&rnum=1111-2-33333&action=pcw4

I just put a space in my name when typing it, IE substituted the space with %20 - I don't know if this is needed with other browsers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

dyeatman wrote:
Darren,
The PIC Wizard is not enabled in my version. Is this correct?

I forgot to mention in the previous post, some of the tools included in PCW (Project Wizard, SIOW, Numeric Converter, etc) are not included in the PCW/PCWH download to save space (since those tools are not as frequently updated). Because of this you must download these tools seperately.

To download, use the same URL that I posted earlier, but change the action so it is action=ideutils4

Quote:

Would it be possible to get a quick and dirty list of the items that should not be enabled/working at this point (i.e. most of the documentation stuff doesn't work for me) so I know which ones we (the beta testers) should be looking at?

A list of features that are not included or may not be included properly are detailed here:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/content.php?page=v4future

This list is pretty quick and dirty, I will have to review it and verify it's still correct.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

My initial download (of pcwh4) was done with IEs built-in downloader.

I've just tried again using my preferred download manager (Metaproduct 'Download Express') and this also worked fine.

Is the CCS Downloader NAT-Aware?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you Darren, the ul link worked for me Very Happy

First impression of the new version are good. I can now review and play. I dont think the download program is a bad thing, it just needs to work Confused

Andrew Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

rajenkins wrote:
My initial download (of pcwh4) was done with IEs built-in downloader.

I've just tried again using my preferred download manager (Metaproduct 'Download Express') and this also worked fine.

Thanks for the report.

You don't happen to have Ethereal installed, do you?

Quote:
Is the CCS Downloader NAT-Aware?

Hmm, I thought the whole purpose of NAT was that your application didn't have to know that you are using it.

Also, is NAT any different than a commercial off-the shelf router?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

Routing and NAT are two separate functions.

most combined ADSL modem/router/ethernet boxes do NAT by default, USB ADSL modems generally don't use NAT & from my very limited experience with cable broadband, these also don't do NAT, the PC ethernet port is given a routable IP address rather than a private address.

Any application that embeds a 'local' (i.e. ethernet port on the PC) IP address in a packet will fail if the PC is behind a NAT system and it's trying to talk to a system beyond the NAT layer, as it's sending a private IP address rather than a routable one.

The exception is that most NAT systems have support for standard protocols like FTP and mangle the packets on the fly so the external application gets sent the external address.

If you have created a new protocol for the download manager that is not known to NAT systems and you are embedding any IP addresses, it will fail when trying to work through a NAT layer.

There are two ways around this:

Make the application use UPNP - this will allow it to have a given port forwarded to it through the NAT device on demand, as and when it's required.

Manually set up port forwarding, as long as the application uses a unique port for received data. It must still find & use the true external address so data will be returned (from whatever it's talking to) to the public IP of the NAT device.

Another possibility is if you are using HTTP but in a none-standard way?

This could cause strange effects for anyone behind a transparent proxy, which a lot of ISPs use (and also companies, we have one - squid - on our firewall system).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: