CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CPU-PIC interfacing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e-nola

CPU-PIC interfacing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

For my senior design project, I am attempting to build an automated device testing system. Most of my experience is traditional electrical engineering stuff, so I spoke with a CE professor at the beginning of the semester about what I need from the system (turn devices on/off from computer control, measure voltages on devices and report back to the computer periodically). He suggested I use microcontrollers and more specifically the PIC16F88 as it has a built in ADC and is fairly simple to program. He also suggested I get the PIC C PCM compiler to interface the computer with the RS485 network of microcontrollers. He ended up leaving unexpectedly shortly after I purchased programmer, the compiler and the uC's.

He basically led me to believe what I needed to do was program the uC's themselves in assembly by just setting up the pins as needed and the UART. Then I could use PIC C to create a C program that interfaces with the uC's(I figure through the built in functions like output_high, read_ADC, #USE RS232...). However, after wrestling with it for sometime and recently talking to another microprocessor teacher, I think perhaps I've been on the wrong path.

If i wanted to make a user interface program that talks to the uC's through the serial port, would PIC C be able to do that, or is it actually just to program the PIC's?

Thanks,
~Eric
rberek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:59 am     Reply with quote

The compiler will not create a Windows program for you to interface your PC to your hardware. The C code you write is compiled and burned into the microcontroller and will control only the operations of the PIC itself.

You will then have to write a program on the PC, using Visual Basic or Visual C# or something similar, which will talk to the PIC via the PC's serial or USB port and present the information to the user.
e-nola

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for setting me straight Rberek.

I knew something wasn't adding up. Too bad I didn't think to get on here and ask that question a month ago. I may try and just use the parallel port with a stand alone ADC for now since the deadline is not but 2 weeks away and it seems somewhat easier.
arunb

RE:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:32 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Standalone systems may need more hardware and software to run, with a microcontroller all you need to do is establish a communication (which is easily done) with the PC....

thanks
arunb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: