CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

7-Seg LED Display: Common Anode vs Common Cathode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valemike

7-Seg LED Display: Common Anode vs Common Cathode
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

I've played with a four-digit 7-segment LED display here and there, but only now did I start to consider the current sink/source effects these can have on a PIC.

For those of you who currently use 7-segment displays, would you rather use a Common Anode type, and let each PIC pin SINK up to 15mA of current? Or would you rather use the common cathode type, and let the PIC SOURCE 15mA of current?

The reason why I ask is that, if you read the fine print in the PIC's datasheet, sinking all that current can make you exceed the maximum ratings of "sink" current through Vss. (No wonder I see people who drive their LEDs off the unregulated pre-voltage_regulator supply.) Rolling Eyes Question

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:37 am     Reply with quote

Neither. I would use a 7-segment driver chip (e.g. 7445 or 42 or something else). If you want to get a reasonable brightness with multiplexed bits then you have to rise the LED current (typically 30-40 mA / segment).
valemike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I need to also display letters on this 7-segment display. Some letters in the alphabet can be expressed best if it were capital, some in lower case, and some not at all (e.g. 'w', 'm', 'x', 'z', etc.).

I think such off-the-shelf display drivers cannot let you light up letters, such as 'A', 'C', 'E', 'F', etc., or can they?

Display drivers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Some of the MAXIM drivers give you access to all the individual segments as well as the decimal point, so you can "roll your own" letters, digits, symbols...
MGP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

I'll second the Maxim LED driver chips -- I have used literally 10's of thousands of them in medical devices and never had a single failure or problem with them.

They have a lot of benefits, including: SPI interface, brightness control (digital and analog), programmable number of scan digits, and probably some others I'm forgetting. They come in DIP and SMD (SO) packages too.
dyeatman

Display driver
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

The 7447 will give you from 0 to 9 and A-F for hex
Humberto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

Depending of the availability of "processor time" to take care of multiplexing the segments,
I preffer to use a driver for each individual lines and "draw" the chars and numbers that
can be represented with 7 segments.
Ex: "0.. to 9" + "A" "a" "b" "C" "c" "d" "E" "F" "H" "h" "o" "u"...
Having a function to multiplexing the output lines, itīs a matter of adjusting the "time-on"
of each segment to get the right brightness and total current consumption.
Maximīs has drivers with very good features but, at least here in Argentina they
are very expensive for a mass production.
Regarding the 7447 type decoder driver, I donīt like the "old fashion" representation
of the numbers "6" and "9" they does (only with 5 segment)

Humberto

valemike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Never thought of using Maxim for LED driving, but it's a good idea.

However, Maxim's lead times are friggen 15 WEEKS for several devices!!
Shocked
rnielsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Remember, Maxim is not the only place for semi-conductors. Try going to www.icmaster.com and look there for different parts that you could use.

Using the PIC to drive a few LED's is okay but I would not drive a whole mess of them with it. Always use some kind of a buffer or dedicated driver IC. Let the PIC be the smarts and something else be the muscle. Wink

Ronald
Kasper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:27 am     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:
Never thought of using Maxim for LED driving, but it's a good idea.

However, Maxim's lead times are friggen 15 WEEKS for several devices!!
Shocked

only 15 weeks.. lucky.. we had some maxim parts with what was closer to 30 weeks delivery time!

something like a ULN2003 would be a simple solution, but there is no brighness control. Lead time should be alot less than what maxim has Smile
drh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Another led IC to look at is the Toshiba TB62709F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: