CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

RS422

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeprox

RS422
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:30 am     Reply with quote

If I have a source with rs422 connection and I need to connect this to 2 other devices with rs422 connections as well, what do I need?

Can I just directly wire up both to the same source? ie TX+ of source connects to both RX+ of the receivers, TX- to RX- etc. without a need for other external components?

Source TX+ --------------------------Destination1 RX+
|
|--------------------Destination2 RX+

Source TX- --------------------------Destination1 RX-
|
|--------------------Destination2 RX-

This relates to an interface project. I'm going to use a 16F877 and use its hardware UART, and translate the rs232 into an rs422 with external devices.
Ttelmah

Re: RS422
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:19 am     Reply with quote

Jeprox wrote:
If I have a source with rs422 connection and I need to connect this to 2 other devices with rs422 connections as well, what do I need?

Can I just directly wire up both to the same source? ie TX+ of source connects to both RX+ of the receivers, TX- to RX- etc. without a need for other external components?

Source TX+ --------------------------Destination1 RX+
|
|--------------------Destination2 RX+

Source TX- --------------------------Destination1 RX-
|
|--------------------Destination2 RX-

This relates to an interface project. I'm going to use a 16F877 and use its hardware UART, and translate the rs232 into an rs422 with external devices.

Basically yes.
However normally, if the wire is going more than a very short distance, it requires termination at each end, and if the transmitter is ever going to be 'disabled', and you want the receiving devices to still see the line as 'idle', the terminator should also apply a small bias to the signal pair.
So (for instance), for a 100ohm twisted pair cable, you would have three resistors at each end of the entire link (not at the individual devices), with 120ohm between the lines, and a 1k2 from the 'A' line to your +ve supply, and a 1k2 from the 'B' line to the -ve supply. The three resistors in parallel give an impedance close to 100ohms, and ensure that the 'A' line is held fractionally above the 'B' line when not being driven. There are also terminator chips that perform a similar function, and some RS422 drivers are designed to idle safe.
The transmitter is normally disabled because RS422, supports half duplex operation over the single pair of wires, so devices all sit 'listening', and then one device turns on it's transmit output to talk. Hence in this enviroment the 'waiting' situation, has the lines undriven. If your link is 'simplex' with only one master, then you do not need to bias the lines, and a single 100ohm resistor at each end of the cable is all that is required (assuming the cable impedance is 100ohms).
Without the terminators, if the data rate is more than a very slow level, you will get signal reflections at the ends of the wire, which can garbage the data...

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks.

Firstly, I'm not sure I understand by you saying "at each end of the entire link (not at the individual devices), with 120ohm between the lines, and a 1k2 from the 'A' line to your +ve supply, and a 1k2 from the 'B' line to the -ve supply."

Perhaps, if it's not too much of an ask you could provide a schematic on this or point me to a site that shows this.

Secondly, what about this terminator chips? How is this used?

The last thing I want is not getting it right. The dilemma I have is that I don't have the receivers with me and the only time I can get this to test is at the customer site. So, there is no room for error (basically) as the interface will have to be made beforehand.

Thanks again, Ttelmah.
Jeprox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

The previous post was from me. Sorry.
Neutone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

Think a single run of wire the stops at one device and goes on to the next. This is multi drop and should be terminated on the ends. The MAX485 data sheet should have some pictures you could look at.
Jeprox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Which line would have the "three resistors at each end of the entire link" - TX or RX or both?

By saying "at each end of the entire link" does it mean that both at the Master and Receiver end (I assume it's the last reciever in the daisy-chain) will have the "three resistors."?

I've seen "general" drawings on the net that only shows termination at the last Slave and none on the Master side.

I'm still a bit confused.
Jeprox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah, on the slave sides I don't think I would have access to the +ve and -ve.

I've looked at the following site and an example. see fig. 1.7 Page 8 of the following link that shows an example of multidrop.
Is it also necessary to wire up the ground side (it shows the chassis gnd, power gnd and signal gnd)

I would assume Rt would be 100R. I intend to use a CAT5 cable.

http://nle.ixbt.com/hard&soft/485appnote.pdf

Thanks in advance.
dyeatman

RS422 Web Site
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

Here is a very comprehensive site on RS485/RS422 that should give you a much better understanding of RS422. It covers all the details...

http://www.bb-elec.com/technical_library.asp

Especially look at the RS485/RS422 Application note near the top of the list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: