CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

16C773 Analog Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpark

16C773 Analog Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:24 am     Reply with quote

I am studying 16C773 12 bit ADC and get many questions. I hope someone can clear for me. 16C773 is OTP, so I wish to get as much homework done before I start working on.

1) Is internal Vref absolute 4.096V? It seems so from the datasheet, then will it be still 4.096V if 16LC773 is used with Vdd lower than that?

2) ADC measurement voltage range is from VrefL to VrefH depending on whish configuration I select? That means 0 count for AI=VrefL and 4096 count for AI=VrefH?

3) If both internal VrefH (4.096V) and internal VrefL (2.048V) are used, will it measure in the resolution of 0.5mV? A part of datasheet minimum resolution of ADC is 1mV.

4) Can AVdd and external VrefH set to 12V so that I can measure 0-12V instead of 0-4.096V? Likewise can VrefL set higher than Vdd?

I am pretty new to the PIC world and 16C773 is first time. Thanks in advance.

-- dj
Ttelmah

Re: 16C773 Analog Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:39 am     Reply with quote

djpark wrote:
I am studying 16C773 12 bit ADC and get many questions. I hope someone can clear for me. 16C773 is OTP, so I wish to get as much homework done before I start working on.

1) Is internal Vref absolute 4.096V? It seems so from the datasheet, then will it be still 4.096V if 16LC773 is used with Vdd lower than that?

2) ADC measurement voltage range is from VrefL to VrefH depending on whish configuration I select? That means 0 count for AI=VrefL and 4096 count for AI=VrefH?

3) If both internal VrefH (4.096V) and internal VrefL (2.048V) are used, will it measure in the resolution of 0.5mV? A part of datasheet minimum resolution of ADC is 1mV.

4) Can AVdd and external VrefH set to 12V so that I can measure 0-12V instead of 0-4.096V? Likewise can VrefL set higher than Vdd?

I am pretty new to the PIC world and 16C773 is first time. Thanks in advance.

-- dj

1) Look again at the data sheet.
Parameter no D400, gives the Internal Vref range, as VRL (2.048v), available for supplies >=2.5v, and VRH, only available when the supply is above 4.5v.
2) Yes. Though you never get 4096 counts (4095 max).
3) The 'step size' will be 0.5mV, but the resolution will only be 1mV.
4) No.
Again read the data sheet. 'Maximum voltage on any pin with respect to Vss = 0.3v to Vdd+0.3v'
There is an exception for pin RA4, which is allowed to go to 8.5v, but this is not an analog input.

Best Wishes
djpark

Re: 16C773 Analog Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
1) Look again at the data sheet.
Parameter no D400, gives the Internal Vref range, as VRL (2.048v), available for supplies >=2.5v, and VRH, only available when the supply is above 4.5v.

I missed that though I was finding for something like this. Thanks.

Quote:
2) Yes. Though you never get 4096 counts (4095 max).

Yes, 4095.

Quote:
3) The 'step size' will be 0.5mV, but the resolution will only be 1mV.

I don't understand, would you enlighten me? If VRefL=2.048 and VRefH=4.096, each ADC count is 0.5mV step but it is only half of the resolution. Does that mean the count can be effectively only 11 bit accurate?

Quote:
4) No.
Again read the data sheet. 'Maximum voltage on any pin with respect to Vss = 0.3v to Vdd+0.3v'
There is an exception for pin RA4, which is allowed to go to 8.5v, but this is not an analog input.

Found A20 4.096 <= VRef <= Vdd + 0.3V and VRefL <= VRefH <=AVdd, but I couldn't find anywhere stating maximum AVdd though it doesn't make a difference now.

So if I want to measure 12V, I guess I wll have to use a register voltage divider.

Thanks for guiding me.

-- dj
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Yes. The point is that the last bit of the value becomes unreliable. So the ADC, only gives (at best) in this condition 11bit accuracy.
There is a generic spec for all the pins (excluding ones used for programming), at one diode drop above Vdd, so this sets the limit range. Yes, you'll have to use a divider.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: