CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PICs with built-in I2C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveS

PICs with built-in I2C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:47 am     Reply with quote

I did a search on Microchip's site to find what small 16F or 18F parts there were with built-in I2C. Maybe I'm missing something but they only show a few parts - all big parts or new ones. But I know there are others - so can anyone suggest the smallest 16F or 18F parts with built-in I2C - I need to do slave mode.

Meanwhile- I'm rambling thru the datasheets....

TIA,

SteveS

try this
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:27 am     Reply with quote

pic18F242 or 252 the SPI doubles as I2C
hansw
ttelmah

Re: PICs with built-in I2C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:42 am     Reply with quote

SteveS wrote:
I did a search on Microchip's site to find what small 16F or 18F parts there were with built-in I2C. Maybe I'm missing something but they only show a few parts - all big parts or new ones. But I know there are others - so can anyone suggest the smallest 16F or 18F parts with built-in I2C - I need to do slave mode.

Meanwhile- I'm rambling thru the datasheets....

TIA,

SteveS

The smallest 'current' parts with hardware I2C, that I can think of, is the 18F818/9, in 18 pin. Their search engine is awful in this regard, if you specify '<=28 pins', and 'I2C interface', it finds no parts, yet these exist...

Best Wishes
rnielsen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:38 am     Reply with quote

I've used the following PIC's for I2C communications:
18F452(40 pin), 16F87(18 pin) and 16F76(28 pin).
SteveS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Thanks all -

When I went to Microchip site - it was 'cool, they added parameter look-up', but as ttelmah states, it is truly awful. I knew I had used other parts before that didn't show up. I feel sorry for someone new to PICs, they might do the search and just give up. I was hoping it was me and the way I searched, but no.

Now I get to try to make sense out of all the posts on slave mode problems...

- SteveS
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:25 am     Reply with quote

SteveS wrote:
Thanks all -

When I went to Microchip site - it was 'cool, they added parameter look-up', but as ttelmah states, it is truly awful. I knew I had used other parts before that didn't show up. I feel sorry for someone new to PICs, they might do the search and just give up. I was hoping it was me and the way I searched, but no.

Now I get to try to make sense out of all the posts on slave mode problems...

- SteveS

The biggest core 'problem' I can think of is the damn long time it takes for the slave to respond to an interrupt, and be ready with a reply (assuming you are using a 'read' command). Just how long this truly is, especially if you have other interrupt handler, which the processor might be executing at the time, is a real 'pain' when you are used to hardware systems that can respond on the very next clock...
Combine this with a few 'oddities' in the way the CCS functions are structured, stir gently, and you have the core of most slave problems...
Hope you get it working how you want.

Best Wishes
SteveS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up - it will be a write-only-device - I need to make an SPI peripheral look like an I2C peripheral. Thats why I was looking for min pins - only need 5 or 6...

- SteveS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: