CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

HyperTerminal and/or Serial Sender Program?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chingB

HyperTerminal and/or Serial Sender Program?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hello der,

Anyone from the community who can provide me a freeware/shareware software that can send text or ASCII from a PC to my PIC will receive it and process the receive data. After process it reply to the PC ?

I understand CCS has a Serial Port Monitor but this only monitor the COM port of the PC for incoming data! What I need is a port monitor at the same time can send text/ASCII.

Need Help on this?

Thank u.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

Try this one ---> http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal/ --> freeware tools for your projects
rwyoung

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

For pure ASCII data I generally just use Hyperterminal.

I know lots of people hate it and claim it doesn't work but I've used it for years on W3.1, W95, W98, W2K and now XP and it works fine. But it does have its limitations, especially when it comes to displaying received data.

If I need to simulate the PIC connected to a piece of equipment that is not a PC (say for example a process controller with RS232 interface) but I can't have that piece of equipment on my bench then I whip out Visual Basic and write a simulator. I've also written simulators for a Linux box. This works best when you have a good description of the protocol and understand how the simulated hardware is supposed to react to commands and data. If you don't know that information, it just makes the problem bigger!

Re: HyperTerminal and/or Serial Sender Program?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

I use Tera Term Pro, Freeware. It works great..

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
Jeprox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

I once tried to use commspy (which can be downloadeed free) but found that on some machines it doesn't work well.

So, since then I wrote my own program in Borland, designing it specifically for my needs (read/send data and all other gizmos).

Or try doing it in VB. It's much, much simpler that in C++ to set up/open the comm port. I recall there's a book on VB about serial comms. The title, I think, is "Serial Port Complete".
Haplo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:25 pm     Reply with quote

And also, as far as I remember one of the examples that comes with VB is a complete terminal program.
RD

hardware handshaking
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Does tera term pro support hardware handshaking with CTS?

It doesn't seem to in my application, when I use 'Send file...'.
SteveS

RS232 Snooper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Not an answer to your question, but it pertains to the discussion:

I ran across a neat utility the other day (while looking at some of the terminal programs suggested above): PORTMON

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/portmon.shtml

It monitors RS232 activity on ports in use without needed extra serial ports. (software snoop, not a hradware one). So if you have a serial port talking to something, you can use PORTMON to view and capture the two way comms. It does parallel port too.

Really nice

- SteveS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: