CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

UTP Category-5 LAN Cable Inquiry?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritchie

UTP Category-5 LAN Cable Inquiry?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:26 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I am working on a project that will utilize the RS485 multi-drop network. With my search on the internet, most of the responses and materials suggested to use a cable that AWG #24 with a characteristic impedance of about 120 ohms.

My concern really, what would be the typical characteristic impedance of a Cat-5 LAN cable? Can I use this cable for my RS485 netowrk? what would be the typical wire speed for Cat-5 LAN cable?

I need your comments on this?

Thank u.
MADIS - Alexandre Maurer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:59 am     Reply with quote

You can calculate it yourself with the characteristics given by the cable manufacturer and your operating frequency

Where R' is the total resistance of your line (Ohm)
Where L' is the inductance H/Km
Where C' is the capacitance C/Km
Where G' is the perditance S/Km
Where w is the pulsation rad/s (2 * PI * f)

Terminate your line with a resistor equal to the Zc value. (only real parameter, not imaginary cause it will be to hard to do LOL)

if you work at about 1MHz and more, the characteristic impedance of your cable will be SQUARE_ROOT(L'/C') wich will give you ~100Ohms for a CAT5 cable.

But with RS485 i think you will work at 250kbps... so I recommend to you to use 120Ohms or 150Ohms at the source and at the receiver with a CAT5 if you want.

Also check with your oscilloscope if you have standing waves. The power must be full dissipated at the receiver end. Adapt the termination resistance.
dyeatman

RS485
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:08 am     Reply with quote

I have used CAT-5 extensively for RS485 with no problems. I have used "star" configurations, serial multidrop and combined. It has worked fine in every case. The only word of caution I might add is to steer clear of noise sources like flourescent lights. I had a case where I got too close with one run and the devices on that leg were intermittant. It took a while to find.

Good Luck
dave
ritchie

Re: RS485
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

dyeatman wrote:
I have used CAT-5 extensively for RS485 with no problems. I have used "star" configurations, serial multidrop and combined. It has worked fine in every case. The only word of caution I might add is to steer clear of noise sources like flourescent lights. I had a case where I got too close with one run and the devices on that leg were intermittant. It took a while to find.

Good Luck
dave

Hello dyeatman,

What would be an approximate value for the termination resistor for an RS485 network at a speed of 115.2Kbps using a CAT-5 LAN cable?

Thanx
ritchie

Re: RS485
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:19 pm     Reply with quote

dyeatman wrote:

Good Luck
dave

What would be the approximate values of the biasing resistor and termination resistor using a CAT-5 LAN cable?

Thanx
ritchie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

MADIS - Alexandre Maurer wrote:

if you work at about 1MHz and more, the characteristic impedance of your cable will be SQUARE_ROOT(L'/C') wich will give you ~100Ohms for a CAT5 cable.

But with RS485 i think you will work at 250kbps... so I recommend to you to use 120Ohms or 150Ohms at the source and at the receiver with a CAT5 if you want.

Also check with your oscilloscope if you have standing waves. The power must be full dissipated at the receiver end. Adapt the termination resistance.

I am using a speed of 115.2Kbps? what would be an appropriate values of the biasing resistor and termination resistor for a CAT-5 LAN cable?

Need cooments please?

Thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: