CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

16F877A to 18F452 Migration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie U

16F877A to 18F452 Migration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:27 am     Reply with quote

I am working on a small hand-held device which has very little pcb space available for the electronics. The feasability phase of the project used the 16F877 and I am hesitant to change. However, there is this looming problem on the horizon of "not enough code space". I am being asked to start the pcb layout before the code is completed and thus the processor selected. Here's the problem: to save space, we may need to use the QFN package, since it is less that half the area of the TQFP. In most, if not all, other packages, Microchip has kept a consistent pinout between the 16F877A and the 18F452, with the exception of the programming pin. But in digging through the errata sheets (which is the only place I can find complete QFN details) it appears that they have changed the pin out between the 16F877A and 18F452 in the QFN package.

Has anyboby worked with the QFN packages and are the pinouts truly different between the 16F877A and the 18F452? Also, I am not using the comparator in the 877A so are there any other programming subtleties that I should be aware of, beyond what's been posted here in the past?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
But in digging through the errata sheets (which is the only place I can find complete QFN details) it appears that they have changed the pin out between the 16F877A and 18F452 in the QFN package

I looked at the 16F877A data sheet, here:
http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/16f877a/index.htm

and, the 18Fxx2 rev. C0 silicon errata here:
http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/18f452/index.htm

The pinouts for the QFN packages look similar. The 18F chip has
some additional features on some pins, but other than that, the two
pinouts look compatible.
Charlie U

Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to review this, I truly appreciate it!!! You are absolutely right.

I can't believe that I had my head that far you know where!!!

I have been looking at these pinouts for far too long and I think I must have confused the QFN package on the 18F452 with the QFP package on the 16F877A.

This is a HUGE relief. I can now forge ahead knowing that the parts are almost interchangable with the exception of the PGM pin (RB3 for the 877A and RB5 for the 452).

Thanks again.
Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:52 am     Reply with quote

I appreciate that you may ultimately have to make the move to the bigger chip, but there is quite a bit you can do to make more efficient use of memory. I don't know if you are close to your ROM or RAM limits but you can improve both. Look up the Compiler help under Contents
then look at Common Questions and Answers and look at the question What can be done about an OUT OF RAM error?. Also look at Error Messages->Compiler Error Messages->Not Enough Ram for all Variables.. It is a useful excercise.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: