CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

18F452 vs PICALLW and PICALL Programmer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Stolen

18F452 vs PICALLW and PICALL Programmer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

I'm forced to switch from the 16F877 to the 18F452 due to lack of code space for continuing my project. I have PCWH with the PCH v 3.111 compiler, the PICALLW programs of several of the latest versions driving the PICALL programmer board. I use in-circuit non-low-voltage-programming on the PIC on my target hardware (NOLVP in the #USE), and cannot get past the verification phase of the programming - always fails on first word, results in no code written to PIC. I don't know if I have problems just trying to use the PICALLW software with no real documentation on differences from the '877. I am lacking enough general info for porting my CCS C code from the 877 to the 452 - should be a no-brainer.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with the PICALL programmer in programming the 452s? I use PLCC44 chips for the 877 and 452 thus cannot use a 40-pin dip programmer approach. The PICALL has a header for InCircuit programming, the software has an option box to check, this arrangement works fine on the 877.

Features I use are 6ADC ports, SPI bus to several devices (25LC640, MCP3202, MCP41010), software serial port to a 9k6 4 line x 20 display, and several other devices.

Need some help just to get rolling on the 452.

Re: 18F452 vs PICALLW and PICALL Programmer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:43 am     Reply with quote

:=I'm forced to switch from the 16F877 to the 18F452 due to lack of code space for continuing my project. I have PCWH with the PCH v 3.111 compiler, the PICALLW programs of several of the latest versions driving the PICALL programmer board. I use in-circuit non-low-voltage-programming on the PIC on my target hardware (NOLVP in the #USE), and cannot get past the verification phase of the programming - always fails on first word, results in no code written to PIC. I don't know if I have problems just trying to use the PICALLW software with no real documentation on differences from the '877. I am lacking enough general info for porting my CCS C code from the 877 to the 452 - should be a no-brainer.
:=
:=Does anyone on the forum have experience with the PICALL programmer in programming the 452s? I use PLCC44 chips for the 877 and 452 thus cannot use a 40-pin dip programmer approach. The PICALL has a header for InCircuit programming, the software has an option box to check, this arrangement works fine on the 877.
:=Features I use are 6ADC ports, SPI bus to several devices (25LC640, MCP3202, MCP41010), software serial port to a 9k6 4 line x 20 display, and several other devices.
:=Need some help just to get rolling on the 452.

I had some problems in the verifiacation phase of programming. Turned out that I was driving the MCLR pin with my circuit. Watch with a scope to see if the MCLR line goes to 0 while you are programming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

:=:=I'm forced to switch from the 16F877 to the 18F452 due to lack of code space for continuing my project. I have PCWH with the PCH v 3.111 compiler, the PICALLW programs of several of the latest versions driving the PICALL programmer board. I use in-circuit non-low-voltage-programming on the PIC on my target hardware (NOLVP in the #USE), and cannot get past the verification phase of the programming - always fails on first word, results in no code written to PIC. I don't know if I have problems just trying to use the PICALLW software with no real documentation on differences from the '877. I am lacking enough general info for porting my CCS C code from the 877 to the 452 - should be a no-brainer.
:=:=
:=:=Does anyone on the forum have experience with the PICALL programmer in programming the 452s? I use PLCC44 chips for the 877 and 452 thus cannot use a 40-pin dip programmer approach. The PICALL has a header for InCircuit programming, the software has an option box to check, this arrangement works fine on the 877.
:=:=Features I use are 6ADC ports, SPI bus to several devices (25LC640, MCP3202, MCP41010), software serial port to a 9k6 4 line x 20 display, and several other devices.
:=:=Need some help just to get rolling on the 452.
:=I had some problems in the verifiacation phase of programming. Turned out that I was driving the MCLR pin with my circuit. Watch with a scope to see if the MCLR line goes to 0 while you are programming.

If not using LVP mode, the MCLR line also needs to go >9[V] for programming. See the datasheet. So, as said above, check your MCLR signal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Note that an erased micro defaluts to the LVP bit being set. So the first time you program the device, you have the option of low voltage or high voltage. The high voltage programming is always available. Also note that the LVP pin has moved from RB3 to RB5. I would make sure that this pin (RB5) is not "wiggling" while you are trying to program the device.

Regards,
Mark

:=I'm forced to switch from the 16F877 to the 18F452 due to lack of code space for continuing my project. I have PCWH with the PCH v 3.111 compiler, the PICALLW programs of several of the latest versions driving the PICALL programmer board. I use in-circuit non-low-voltage-programming on the PIC on my target hardware (NOLVP in the #USE), and cannot get past the verification phase of the programming - always fails on first word, results in no code written to PIC. I don't know if I have problems just trying to use the PICALLW software with no real documentation on differences from the '877. I am lacking enough general info for porting my CCS C code from the 877 to the 452 - should be a no-brainer.
:=Does anyone on the forum have experience with the PICALL programmer in programming the 452s? I use PLCC44 chips for the 877 and 452 thus cannot use a 40-pin dip programmer approach. The PICALL has a header for InCircuit programming, the software has an option box to check, this arrangement works fine on the 877.
:=Features I use are 6ADC ports, SPI bus to several devices (25LC640, MCP3202, MCP41010), software serial port to a 9k6 4 line x 20 display, and several other devices.
:=Need some help just to get rolling on the 452.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: