CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

beware Picstart firmware V3.10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel panic

beware Picstart firmware V3.10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

V3.10 has the "feature" of scrembling the memory during programming(it will verify correctly with 3.10 firmware but it wont verify with any other firmware and it wont run) of certan parts (so far i have confirmed all parts with parity and ALL 16C5XX parts) and will ocasionally program a flash part in some way that prevents it later erasure. They have acnololaged this problem but have taken no actions to warn others ot take it down off the web site..

apparently 3.10.01 will fix these problems but i dont see that it has been released yet, as well as it is a "dot" release so therefor not certified.

Vince

Re: Will Microchip ever get its act together
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:28 am     Reply with quote

They have no plans to recall their defective 18F452 chips. Now I have a 18F8720 that won't erase since I used picstartplus on it.
I think the cosy relationships they have with their testing partners and the don't ask don't tell policies they have with the rest of us leads to arrogance and this outrageous lack of quality control.
I know they might replace my parts if I signed a gag order not to tell anyone they ever were defective but the first step to solving a quality problem is to admit you have one.
Looks like it will be 2004 before trusting a Microchip part in a mission critical system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

I'm using PIC18F452 with PicStartPlus and have no problems.
What date code do you have on the chips ?
What version is your MPLAB ? mine is 5.62.00
What Firmware Version does the PicStartplus have? Mine is V3.00.0

I had a similar issue not be able to erase PIC18F242 but though I had zapped it with static and threw it away. Since then I've not had problem so I think it was static.

I also have a Pro MateII programmer that NEVER worked. Microchip were every helpful and sent me a replacement, it did not work either. Then I started a long phone session with tech. support and went through the entire settings etc. Nothing helped. In installed MPLAB on three other systems and tested BOTH ProMateII's and they reacted the same way... Communication failure.
When I run the DOS command line utility program under Real DOS it works every time. !
Microchip gave up and swept my problem under the rug and has never contacted me since.
The fact is they have serious RS-232 problems and will not admit it. Both ProMateII and PicStartPlus do not use what are considered normal RS-232 communications, and that is the real issue.
If it is arrogance or fear I don't know. But they sure would have a lot of programmers to replace if they admitted to a problem. Replacing a few 1000's chip is easier…
Anyway, I don't think they are being honest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

firmware ver 3.10 is the one that is killing chips.. 3.00.0 works well Unfortunatly they no longer have 3.00.0 posted on the web so the only choice is to use the defective 3.10.0

:=I'm using PIC18F452 with PicStartPlus and have no problems.
:=What date code do you have on the chips ?
:=What version is your MPLAB ? mine is 5.62.00
:=What Firmware Version does the PicStartplus have? Mine is V3.00.0
:=
:=I had a similar issue not be able to erase PIC18F242 but though I had zapped it with static and threw it away. Since then I've not had problem so I think it was static.
:=I also have a Pro MateII programmer that NEVER worked. Microchip were every helpful and sent me a replacement, it did not work either. Then I started a long phone session with tech. support and went through the entire settings etc. Nothing helped. In installed MPLAB on three other systems and tested BOTH ProMateII's and they reacted the same way... Communication failure.
:=When I run the DOS command line utility program under Real DOS it works every time. !
:=Microchip gave up and swept my problem under the rug and has never contacted me since.
:=The fact is they have serious RS-232 problems and will not admit it. Both ProMateII and PicStartPlus do not use what are considered normal RS-232 communications, and that is the real issue.
:=If it is arrogance or fear I don't know. But they sure would have a lot of programmers to replace if they admitted to a problem. Replacing a few 1000's chip is easier…
:=Anyway, I don't think they are being honest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

firmware ver 3.10 is the one that is killing chips.. 3.00.0 works well Unfortunatly they no longer have 3.00.0 posted on the web so the only choice is to use the defective 3.10.0

:=I'm using PIC18F452 with PicStartPlus and have no problems.
:=What date code do you have on the chips ?
:=What version is your MPLAB ? mine is 5.62.00
:=What Firmware Version does the PicStartplus have? Mine is V3.00.0
:=I had a similar issue not be able to erase PIC18F242 but though I had zapped it with static and threw it away. Since then I've not had problem so I think it was static.
:=I also have a Pro MateII programmer that NEVER worked. Microchip were every helpful and sent me a replacement, it did not work either. Then I started a long phone session with tech. support and went through the entire settings etc. Nothing helped. In installed MPLAB on three other systems and tested BOTH ProMateII's and they reacted the same way... Communication failure.
:=When I run the DOS command line utility program under Real DOS it works every time. !
:=Microchip gave up and swept my problem under the rug and has never contacted me since.
:=The fact is they have serious RS-232 problems and will not admit it. Both ProMateII and PicStartPlus do not use what are considered normal RS-232 communications, and that is the real issue.
:=If it is arrogance or fear I don't know. But they sure would have a lot of programmers to replace if they admitted to a problem. Replacing a few 1000's chip is easier…
:=Anyway, I don't think they are being honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: