CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS compiler and ICD-U64 on Ubuntu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
webgiorgio

CCS compiler and ICD-U64 on Ubuntu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,
I would like to use the CCS C compiler inside MPLAB X and Ubuntu.
CCS provides a plug-in to do this.
http://www.ccsinfo.com/downloads.php
1) Is it only for Windows?

I tried to use the ICD-U64 from the Ubuntu command line (using the CCSLOADER Programmer Control Software for Linux), but I am stepping into problems and I am not sure it is worth the time to try to solve them.

2) So, with the command line uploader on Ubuntu, do I get all the capabilities of the CCSLOAD I used on Windows?

3) Should I simply go for a Microchip programmer? (Pickit and ICD are supported on Linux with the IPE that comes with MPLAB X). At least with this solution I don't have to boot the Windows VM to simply flash a pic (I mean, I can flash a HEX made by CCS using MPLAB IPE and pickit3. Can I?).
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

OK, I can't help with 'is it compatible' but...
have you considered just having a Windows based PC for PIC /CCS development?
PCs are free (at least here) and it'd ONLY need to have CCS compiler. NO need for internet, email, WORD, Excel, other 'aps', etc. JUST a 'bare bones' system.
I have 3 here (W98SE, XPPro, Win7) and the ONLY access is via a flashdrive so no one can hack in. A simple KVM allows one KBD/ MTR for all system to share.
I've heard horror stories of VM boxes NOT being 100% reliable or 100% compatible and days being wasted only to find out 'they' didn't code 'this or that' properly because 'they' never thought anyone would use a peripheral my way...

Just thinking of options for you.

Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 am     Reply with quote

In one sense have to agree, it is very easy just to have a machine for jobs like this.
At heart though it would be very nice to have more cross platform availability of the whole CCS IDE. The issue generally is the decision made at the start of development, as to what language to use, and the tools employed by this. My suspicion is that the CCS authors used a lot of the Windows platform interfaces in the development, which of course makes it quite hard to shift to other platforms.
However it is well worth remembering that it is a doddle now to run a 'Windows' virtual machine inside Linux. You can even use an old copy of something like XP, which will run CCS OK. This is a route that more and more people have to use as individual applications which are of importance, are found not to be available on particular platforms. I don't think I could run with just one OS anymore. I typically have perhaps four OS's running at any time. As I said, I run CCS in a virtual Windows, and far prefer the Mac environment for many things.
webgiorgio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:07 am     Reply with quote

I see. Thanks for the advice Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: