CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PCWH ide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diode_blade

PCWH ide
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 am     Reply with quote

Sorry if this is in wrong section, Just want to pick (no pun intended Wink ) peoples thoughts. I have been using the PCM and PCH command line compilers with MPLAB and MPLAB X quite happily but have thought about purchasing the PCWH ide. As my maintenance renewal is due next month I would like to know from people who have been using the ide what your thoughts and advice are.

With thanks
Dave
newguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 am     Reply with quote

I've never actually used MPLAB ever - I've only ever used the CCS IDE. I like it and it does what I need.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am     Reply with quote

It's very difficult to be really fair here, since they all have problems...
MPLAB has the advantages of the stopwatch, and the simulator.
MPLAB-X, is really unreliable. On big chips even the current release insists on hanging. Older releases were worse. It is also very intrusive in it's operation, insisting on scanning directories that you don't want to include in it's operation. I consider it to be a massive step 'backwards' from MPLAB....
The CCS IDE, has some nice features. Good help, Quite usable debug etc.. However some parts of the debug operation are really annoying. For instance if you hover over an item, and it gives you it's definitions, it is almost impossible to actually select one of the sub items to look at. Then when displaying values it insists on dropping out of this before you have a chance to actually read what you want!. Suspect this may relate to machine speed (I'm running a 32GB I7 at 4.2GHz on an SSD), but it is annoying. There are some oddities. If I have really large projects (20+ files, 40000+ lines), it tends when you open the project to 'forget' what files are actually part of the project. However select the main file, compile this, and it remembers again. It does work quite well though, but there are quite a few features I'd like to see improved.....
Quite a bit depends on how much extra the IDE will be as a maintenance update?. It'll also take some getting used to.
diode_blade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:46 am     Reply with quote

Thankyou Newguy and Ttelmah for your feedback much appreciated.
Kind regards
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: