CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PICKIT 4 Programming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATTIgeek

PICKIT 4 Programming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:21 am     Reply with quote

I'm trying to program a 18F4520 device using a PICKIT 4 but have not been successful. I am using a PICKIT 4 with a serial of BUR20xxx so this is NOT a result of the Vpp issue. I've installed the setup_mctools.exe application.

If I run diagnostics, the device ID initially is wrong but eventually comes up right. Pressing the Vss, Vdd, etc. buttons for MCLR, PGD, PGC seem to have no effect when measured at the chip or directly at the PICKIT 4 connector.

If I go into MPLAB X (5.50) I can read the contents of the chip without issue. The only reference I could find was:

https://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53831

Can anyone shed some light on this?
ATTIgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:40 am     Reply with quote

I remember seeing during installation of the CCS compiler a message that one program needed administrator access.

I just re-ran the install for the compiler and apparently the application is mplabxpi.exe. I do not see that file in the CCS subdirectory nor in the Microchip subdirectory.

I also got a message for jvm.dll which I was able to locate and the app was happy with.
ATTIgeek

PICKIT4 is STILL not addressed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Two and a half months later and CCS still hasn't addressed the PICKIT4 programmer issue in MPLAB X 5.45 and 5.50 versions. Ordered the CCS complier in June but can't use for programming without downgrading the MPLAB X version without a lot of grief. Bummed Out
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Understand that this is a MicroChip problem, not a CCS one.
CCS, do not handle any of the MicroChip programmers themselves. They call
a sub-program provided by MicroChip as part of the MPLAB install, which is
meant to do this.
MicroChip have changed how this is behaving, without updating the info
given to people who use it (I know I have a similar interface to allow the
MicroChip programmers to be used, and have moaned to Microchip five
times, and still not had a reply, except back to the old notes, that don't
now work properly....). Suspect CCS are in exactly the same situation. Sad
diode_blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:43 am     Reply with quote

I have just purchased a pickit4 so I can use with the CCS ide, also a new laptop, I have previously used M'Chip ICD 3 with the ide on another laptop.
Now the fun begins.

I installed all the CCS software using admin rights.
For the ICD3 you have to have MPLAB 3.65 installed, but crucially as I have just found out, you also need Java (not the latest version, but JAVA version 7) for both PICKIT 4 and the ICD.

I had installed latest version of Java on the new laptop, when selecting the PICKIT4 in the idea i just kept getting error messages.

De-installed the latest Java version and installed V7, at this point it now asks me to point to where the .jvm file is when i select PICKIT 4 in the iDE.
At this point I can't update you anymore as I am away and can't tell you if it will work until I get back home tomorrow.

I did a search on my laptop to locate the .jvm dll and this is where I think you link to, when asked in the IDE, for both ICD3 and pickit 4.
The 2 fwd slashes by the way was me copying the link from the C project file as a comment I put it in there to remind me when I get back home.

I will update as soon as I can.

Quote:
//C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.65\sys\java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\server
danielweselka

Re: PICKIT 4 Programming
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:59 am     Reply with quote

ATTIgeek wrote:
I'm trying to program a 18F4520 device using a PICKIT 4 but have not been successful. I am using a PICKIT 4 with a serial of BUR20xxx so this is NOT a result of the Vpp issue. I've installed the setup_mctools.exe application.

I do not know if it is your problem, but it happened to me once I could not record a pic of these, if it worked in an accessory socket of the PicKit, but not on ICSP board.
Until you ground the PGM pin (pin 38) through a resistor.

On my board, that pin is unused, but for some reason it floated at 1.

From now on I implement this in all my designs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: