CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Casting Differences between Compiler versions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlenED7

Casting Differences between Compiler versions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I ran across something recently and I am curious to get the forum's feedback on it. I observed a difference in one of my projects when upgrading from compiler version 5.059 to 5.081. Specifically it dealt with casting a 16-bit signed variable to a 32-bit unsigned variable. In each of the compiler versions I received different results. I could not find any reference to this behavior when searching the compiler's release notes.

I also cross checked this behavior in VS 2015 and it is consistent with the newer version of the compiler. But I do not know what the C standard on it is, nor could I find an example of this particular case.

Essentially when I run the example code below on the two different compiler versions I get the follow results.

Code:
  unsigned int32 u32Test;
  signed int16   i16Test = 0x8000;

u32Test = (unsigned int32)i16Test;

printf("Compiler Version: %s\r\n", getenv("VERSION_STRING"));
  printf("Compiled For: %s\r\n", getenv("DEVICE"));
  printf("Signed 16 (0x8000) to Unsigned 32: 0x%08lX\r\n", u32Test);

Result 1:
Compiler Version: 5.081
Compiled For: PIC18F87J50
Signed 16 (0x8000) to Unsigned 32: 0xFFFF8000

Result 2:
Compiler Version: 5.059
Compiled For: PIC18F87J50
Signed 16 (0x8000) to Unsigned 32: 0x00008000

I feel as though when casting to an UNSIGNED type no sign extending should be occurring. I would expect a bit for bit promotion. But apparently I am wrong. Did CCS get this right? Am I crazy to expect a non-signed extended result when casting to an unsigned variable?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

It's actually specified in the original K&R, as giving 'indeterminate results'.
On chips that have error indications, it would actually trigger a maths error, since the value cannot be represented by the target type.
Technically the newer conversion is actually 'right', since the target has a higher rank than the source, so the conversion should first be to the higher rank type (so to 32bit signed, and sign extended), then this will be converted to unsigned.
It's a classic though that C depends on you verifying that values are legitimate before working....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: