CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Why doesn't search work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russk2txb

Why doesn't search work
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

I just spent a frustrating hour trying to find some info in this forum. I tried multiple ways to search for information on the command line compiler, but no matter what I do I always get many hundreds or even thousands of hits that have nothing to do with my search. I tried:

command line - lots of hits that do not have the word line.

"Command line compiler" (with quotes), I guess it does not recognize the meaning of quotes

Command AND line AND compiler - makes no difference. Is it just plain broke or am I stupid?

Thanks, Russ
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

I just tried command line compiler, selected ALL words and got 474 hits.
So to narrow your search I'd add some additional keywords.

Jay
russk2txb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I got too, but most of those hits had nothing to do with the subject. In fact I only found 3 or 4 before I finally gave up because no more were being seen. I think it searches for each word and reports all hits for each, even though I told it to only use results that have all the words in them.

I've fought with this search engine before but this time I thought maybe someone had some better way. The thing is that I don't like posting questions that may have already been answered. Oh well...
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Have you tried using google to search the forums:

site:www.ccsinfo.com/forum command line

Don't know if it is any better, but just a different route to try.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Actually:

site:www.ccsinfo.com/forum "command line"

Otherwise it'll find threads with just 'command', and 'line'.

Using the inverted commas forces it to only find threads with the two words together.

Better though (since the above will find all sorts of threads talking about other things about ccsc, is to look for the command line compiler name.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 am     Reply with quote

That's fine too. I generally only put quotes on google searches as needed. Most of the time it is generally smart enough to group them together for me. As an example, doing the search I posted on my computer in Firefox, all of the results came back with both words grouped together, so I didn't need the quotes. If I saw results where it was all over the place, I would put quotes around them.

Either way, the nice thing about google searching is it has a lot of really nice searching options.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:28 am     Reply with quote

It puts the ones with both words first. However there are rather a lot in total. That's why actually looking for 'ccsc.exe', and then 'command line' is rather better. Far fewer hits, and the ones you get are more likely to be what is wanted.
Agree wholeheartedly about the options. The actual abilities are really useful. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: