CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

windows 10 vs windows 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjs_rsdi

windows 10 vs windows 7
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the place to ask.
Made a search on the forum for the above, got 1230 results but no one have windows in the title.
Will have any problem after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with MPLAB, CCS compiler, CCS programmer, USB/Serial converters etc'?

Best wishes
Joe
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

#1 BACKUP 100% of ALL your files on a flash drive BEFORE 'upgrading' from 7 to 10
#2 BACKUP everything again on another separate flash drive !!
#3 VERIFY that BOTH backups are good !
#4 ONLY after you've done #1 AND #2 AND #3, I have to ask WHY 'upgrade' the OS? I'm still using rock solid XP as the Win7 machine next to me gives the BSOD 2-3 times a day...

Going from 7 to 10 will NOT make MPLAB,CCS,etc 'better' or 'faster' so I am curious as to why you think you should 'upgrade'.

Jay
gjs_rsdi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer Jay
I don't want to upgrade to 10, I was very fine with the XP also, my old computer with XP crashed with no possibility to recover nothing. Luckily I just made backup a few days before.
My concern is that Microsoft will do something to crash 7, 8.1 and older
I am not updating Windows when I am prompted.
You think they will do such a thing? I mean to crash older Windows?

Best wishes
Joe
temtronic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 am     Reply with quote

It's highly unlikely that Microsoft would intentionally have a 'self destruct bug' embedded in their OS. When you consider they have BILLONS of PCs using their OS when the word got out, well MS stock would crash in 2 or 3 milliseconds ! I've got XP (a mix of H +PRO,SP2,3 ) on 10 or 12 machines here and NO BSOD since what '99 ?
Where I see people getting into trouble is downloading aps, updates, etc. on a combined personal use/ business PC. NO amount of anti-virus SW WILL 100% protect you from a determined hacker,none. Best protection is to have your 'engineering PC' stand alone..ie NO connection to any other PCs or the Internet. The ONLY way to get data to it would be flash drive. Now you're safe. 'Old' PCs are free,my newest is 7 years young!
As for updates... why ? Unless there is a real reason if the PC was running fine yesterday, there is NO reason to update. What does bother me is MS removing ALL online support for past products.They should at least leave the past SPs and security updates.
I use a mid 4 version of PCM, PCW v? with no need to 'upgrade' as I only use 3 or 4 PIC types and the compiler is 'stable'. You see a lot of posts regarding a 'new' PIC not running right due to a 'bug' in the compiler,or on old version. When you consider the 1000s of PIC types and what the compiler's can do; well, a bug or two is acceptable. Once reported, CCS is fast to patch(update) the compiler ! Yes, I'm a dinosaur and 'if it ain't broke, I don't fix it'.

Jay aka Temtronic
oxo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:35 am     Reply with quote

Current CCS compiler and programmer works fine on windows 10.

I did have an issue with one of my USB serial converter driver, and I had to buy a new one.

Otherwise, no problem really.

The biggest issue with win 10 is that it's very difficult to prevent it from automatically updating, and I've had several incidents where updating has broken drivers.

If you have a choice, stick with Win7 Ultimate.
gjs_rsdi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks again Jay, thanks Oxo
I will remain with my PC Window 7 for working only and the Laptop for internet/downloads, maybe upgrade to 10

Best wishes
Joe
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 am     Reply with quote

Only things were:

1) A few people had problems at the start with permissions. However W7 has since tightened these in a way similar to W10, so it is minor. You need to remember that even as an administrator you don't have 'root' access to the filesystem. So poor choice of where you put files, can lead to problems. Also things like the compiler directory itself will be set as 'read only', so you need to write your own code somewhere else. W7 does this as well now.
2) If writing USB devices, you need to be using the later 'certified' VID (supplied with the compiler for about the last fifty versions). Again W7 has also tightened up here now.
gjs_rsdi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Ttelmah
Hope will not affect me Sad

Best wishes
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: