CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

reading multiple ADC channels using DMA PIC24EP64MC204

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sami

reading multiple ADC channels using DMA PIC24EP64MC204
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:11 am     Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a project that is required to read multiple ADC channels and then fetch them to the DMA channel. I have checked the code example and the datasheet, when i try to enable the DMA on multiple ADC channels and then read them through software (via simple i2c communication) i notice that the result is not consistent. I am expecting to read 3.3 volts on AN4 and i have two temperature sensors on AN0 and AN1, so when i enable these pins the buffer result is composed of five repeated values (i have converted the hex value to voltage value by software):

The first one is for the AN4 and the second two are for the temp sensor. I have made sure by disabling and enabling each pin and then observing the buffer result. I was expecting to get only these 3 values but for some reason i am getting two additional zeros. I am under the impression that if i enable only one ADC pin i should get only 1 repeated value in the buffer, and if i enabled 2 pins i will get 2 repeated values and so one, is this correct ? Or the DMA doesn't work like this ? Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is obvious, this is first time that i worked with DMA.

The pic that i am using is PIC24EP64MC204, ccs compiler revision is 5.069. Here is a sample of my code:
Code:

#include <24EP64MC204.h>
#device ADC=16
#device ICSP=1

#use delay(clock=140000000,crystal=8000000)

#FUSES NOWDT                   
#FUSES NOJTAG                   
#FUSES CKSFSM                 
#FUSES NOPWMLOCK     

#define BUFFER_SIZE 1024
#BANK_DMA
int16 DMA_BUFFER_A[BUFFER_SIZE];

void main()
{
   enable_interrupts(INTR_GLOBAL);
   setup_adc_ports( sAN0 | sAN1 | sAN4, VSS_VREF);
   setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL);   
   setup_dma(0, DMA_IN_ADC1, DMA_WORD);
   dma_start(0, DMA_CONTINOUS ,  &DMA_BUFFER_A[0], BUFFER_SIZE);

And here when i retrieve the buffer by copy it into another array and extract them by i2c communication, (i call these code form software 8 times and on each time i read the page3 to get the results.
Code:

int  i = 0;
  for( i = 0 ; i < 64; i++)
  {
      PAGE03[i * 2 + 1] = (int8)   (DMA_BUFFER_A[I2cRetrievingCounterA + i] & 0x00ff);
      PAGE03[i * 2] = (int8)((DMA_BUFFER_A[I2cRetrievingCounterA + i] & 0xff00) >> 8);
   }

I2cRetrievingCounterA+= 64;
    if(I2cRetrievingCounterA >=BUFFER_SIZE)
    {
          I2cRetrievingCounterA = 0;
    }

temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:16 am     Reply with quote

hmm.. I don't use that PIC but
1) you should post a complete small program that others can cut/paste/compile/test. One problem I see is you say you read 3 items but print 5. That could just be a printing loop code error.It'd be nice to see a label with the values( V33 = 3.07 Temp sens 1 = 2.7 ). Ths way you know what to expect as a value...

2) this...setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL); is a big nono for 16f/18F series PICs. Hopefully others can confirm/deny it is legal to use. I suspect it's OK as your 3V reading is OK...but best to confirm

Jay
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 am     Reply with quote

Search out and read the DMA documentation and examples from Microchip. The way DMA works is that it can't "pack" readings into contiguous memory. Your 5 readings are due to the DMA assembling readings from AN0, AN1, and AN4 (which you want), and spaces in memory reserved for AN2 and AN3.
Sami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies, I will check Microchip example, but for some reason when I enable all the 8 ADC I only get these 5 repeated value, but i should get 8.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Have a look at this post (in the code library). May well help. Smile

<http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47875&highlight=dma+adc>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: