CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Five Year's Work Held Up By CCSLoad.exe - UPDATE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

CCSLoad Access Violation and Hang
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

Follow up with additional details to my previous post (above):

I got ccsload to work again, but now it mysteriously hangs on establishing connection to ICD-U64. No more access violation. I have two ICD-U64's with the same behavior. I have several USB-UART/RS232 plugged in. One of them is based on a FTDI chip and this is causing CCSLoad to hang when attempting to connect with ICD-U64.

I wish CCS would make CCSload more robust.

Previously, everything worked flawlessly on my system, even with the FTDI USB-RS232 and ICD-U64 until yesterday when ccsloader.exe crashed when being executed from the command line. As it crashed, Windows XP SP3 through up access violations windows, and many of them.

After a reboot, Windows discovered a new USB device (ICD-U64) and it wanted drivers. I installed from C:\Program Files\PICC\USB Tools and Windows gave me a warning about FTlang.dll and some "unknown language" warning. After that, CCSLoad.exe gave only access violations and would not terminate. Again, I wish the software was more robust!

I uninstalled the USB-RS232 and rebooted and CCSLoad works again, no hangs or crashes. I then reinserted the FTDI USB-RS232 and reinstalled its drivers (with no warnings about FTLang.dll), and CCSLoad would just hang while attempting to connect.

It is funny that with Microchip's ICD-2 and ICD-3 I haven't any problems, on the same PC but they also have the ability to clear and scrub out USB ICD-2/3 registry entries. Again, all this started from CCSLOADER.EXE
crashing b/c I didn't have the right parameters on the command line.

I can coach semi-tech. people to use ccsload, in a production line environment. MPLAB and ICD-2/3 is more robust but its IDE is geared for a development and is cumbersome and fraught with potential problems for novice users.
scottc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 pm     Reply with quote

I received a reply from CCS this morning. The response indicated that CCSLoad.exe must be in a directory other than that of the compiler.

Bill

Bill, thats kind of unusual as by default CCSLoad.exe is installed to the
same directory as the actual compiler.

"C:\Program Files\PICC\ccsload.exe" I wonder why CCS has not modified
the install routine to put the file elsewhere. Its possible what can happen is when ccsload.exe is loaded and then exited the ccsload process is not
closing correctly, i.e the process remains active.

A quick look at the windows taskmanager Processes would confirm it.

Glad you got it working

Scott
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:10 am     Reply with quote

This could be a Microsoft OS issue. On win2k my CCSload is in the same directory and so far no issues with U64.
At my Company we sent coders on Microsoft vacations so they could learn to avoid the free features( bugs) in the latest OS.
CCS may not be able to afford Microsoft vacation time for its staff.
Microchip probably has Microsoft vacation time for all who request it.
tsmith35

Re: CCSLoad Access Violation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
After you shut down and reboot the computer and start CCSLoad again, it will either crash and continue to generate Access Violations. In essence,
once CCSLoad points to a bad file, it will continue to do so.

There is an easy fix for CCSload pointing to the wrong file. You'll need to open the pcw.ini file in a text editor.

Search for [ProgrammerFiles] and delete the name of the bad file. Save and exit, then start CCSload.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: