CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

I2C between 5v PIC and 3.3v device
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovtech

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Asmallri, what I have found through this thread is that many adapter boards have the power supply built-in at 5 for $2 approx. so I am going with these. As stated I cannot build one for that price and the boards can be added to another board piggyback with some header pins.
I am also using an expensive tilt compensated compass which is "5v tolerant" which has bothered me so I will add it to the 3.3v I2C bus. No point taking the risk.
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:51 am     Reply with quote

rovtech wrote:
I am also using an expensive tilt compensated compass which is "5v tolerant" which has bothered me so I will add it to the 3.3v I2C bus. No point taking the risk.

There is no "risk" associated with a part being "5V tolerant". It simply means that it will work perfectly normally and reliably with up to 5V applied to its inputs. However, it will not produce 5V outputs.

I have a mixed voltage system using a 3.3V PIC24s and a 5V GPIB IC. I used the 5V tolerant IO pins on the PIC (not all are) and carefully checked the PIC and GPIB IC's Voh, Vih, Vol and Vil specs to ensure compatibilty when the PIC was outputting to the GPIB IC. It worked first time and still works every time with no issues whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: