CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Long ADC distance...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 am     Reply with quote

Beware.

The connectors you are illustrating there are _not_ the IP rated version of the M12 connector. The IP rated versions have glands around the cables, not the metal cases and clamps you are showing.
They are cheap because they have no IP rating....

With what you are showing there, you will have problems almost immediately.

Get the proper 'sensor' IP rated plugs and sockets.
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 am     Reply with quote

re: cabling
My 'favourite' method of outdoor( and trailer) cabling uses 1/2" black 'poly' water pipe as the conduit, then fish the CAT5, 14/2, or whatever through.
While direct burial cables exist, in the garden a 'wayward' spade WILL find every cable ! Using polypipe ,you have to a very agressive spader to damage the pipe.

If you get the right 'waterproof' box, the polypipe can be attached with a fitting, then the CAT5 can be fished into the box and pushed into an RJ45.
Same for the sensor. Then you could bury the box,cable,sensor 'unit'.

Now a real clever guy would have a low current white LED on top for nighttime. A really clever guy would figure out how to solar power the 'box',use an XLP PIC and HC12 to eliminate the digging trenches ,laying conduit,running CAT5.

See THIS is how 'simple' projects snowball into huge tasks.....

Jay
newguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:03 am     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:

It's also why commercial products never seem to keep to schedule either. Lots and lots of "oh yeah"s between product conception and rev 2 or 3 of it.
ELCouz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Beware.

The connectors you are illustrating there are _not_ the IP rated version of the M12 connector. The IP rated versions have glands around the cables, not the metal cases and clamps you are showing.
They are cheap because they have no IP rating....

With what you are showing there, you will have problems almost immediately.

Get the proper 'sensor' IP rated plugs and sockets.

Thanks for the hint. I've contacted the fleabay seller before and he said NOT waterproof but splash proof.

But looking again at your comment and the picture...something is fishy on his claim.

Quote:

My 'favourite' method of outdoor( and trailer) cabling uses 1/2" black 'poly' water pipe as the conduit, then fish the CAT5, 14/2, or whatever through.
While direct burial cables exist, in the garden a 'wayward' spade WILL find every cable ! Using polypipe ,you have to a very agressive spader to damage the pipe.

If you get the right 'waterproof' box, the polypipe can be attached with a fitting, then the CAT5 can be fished into the box and pushed into an RJ45.
Same for the sensor. Then you could bury the box,cable,sensor 'unit'.

Now a real clever guy would have a low current white LED on top for nighttime. A really clever guy would figure out how to solar power the 'box',use an XLP PIC and HC12 to eliminate the digging trenches ,laying conduit,running CAT5.

Well it's another good way to see it. Agree it's kind of fragile cable that can be cut easily if not taken care. Actually that was my last resort option if I couldn't get a cheap outdoor cable spool.

Quote:
It's also why commercial products never seem to keep to schedule either. Lots and lots of "oh yeah"s between product conception and rev 2 or 3 of it.

Agree, I have a lot of ideas in my head but lack of time makes me reasonable on the "features" Very Happy

-----------
Here's my first visual theme for the CCS C Compiler. Enjoy!
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Something not pointed out yet, is the varity of 'critters' that live outdoors and LOVE to chew on exposed wires and cables......
Sorry, but I had to point it out....
Dang red squirrels are NASTY !!!

Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Any 'vinyl' plastic attracts this sort of thing.
Rats, grey squirrels, the American pine squirrel etc..
Because their teeth continuously grow, they have to chew to keep them worn down. Annoyingly the plasticisers commonly used in PVC, etc., tend to attract them. They even eat parts of modern cars...
On wood, the old traditional creosote, was much more effective than most of the modern wood preservatives at discouraging this. On industrial cables we use stainless braiding over the outside. The 'ratocutor' (a system I did some time ago), had a flash gun mechanism set to automatically charge, and connected to the shield around a cable. Was remarkably effective... Regular spraying with various things like cayenne pepper can discourage. Though in fact spraying with lead is more effective... Evil or Very Mad
newguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 am     Reply with quote

The first efforts at placing HV distribution lines underground in rural areas (in my neck of the woods, anyway), were met with outages caused by moles chewing through the lines. Mole + 25kV underground line = a lot of bother.

Wondering if you can justify the extra expense of using rather ordinary 14 AWG/3 conductor armoured BX cable? A couple sacrificial anodes buried here and there along the run should help prevent corrosion, and as long as the entry/exit points in your enclosures are properly potted, you won't have to worry about moisture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: