CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

uart pic18F pic16F
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

The old 'rule of thumb', is RS485 can manage 10^8 bps*distance in metres.

10000000/10000 = 1000m

It is going to be stretching things a little. Especially since distances always end up being further than you expect.

Unless the environment is fairly nice, possibly easier to look at a wireless solution. The protection needed to cope with lightning etc., at this sort of distance with a wired solution is going to possibly get quite interesting.
Best, direct solution, cheap fibre optic...
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Have to agree about lightning protection ! It was always 'fun' seeing the 'computer guys' replacing modems, PCs, etc. after a 'nearby' lightning strike while my energy management system kept on communicating. You also need to figure out how to detect 'little things' like backhoes digging up wires, cars destroying poles, ONE busted wire, etc. Real world stuff..NOT taught in classrooms....
Wireless seems to be very,very popular but be wary about code 'overhead' and be sure no one can 'hack' your system. 20+ years and no one can figure out how my system works with just one wire.

hth
jay
ezflyr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,

Call me a cynic, but this project sounds like a 'wild goose chase' to me. Come on, a 'newbie' programmer, and their first project right out of the chute is a network spanning 1.3KM (0.8 mile), with PIC's??? I'd sure like to hear more about the intended application for this one! Frankly, just about everything about this thread sounds 'odd' to me! If I had a project like this, I think that the ultra-long distance nature of the project would be one of the first things I mentioned. An item of this importance would not / should not have to slip out in response to a question..... Again, I think this is some pie-in-the-sky fantasy project that will never get implemented!

John
mariemee12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:49 am     Reply with quote

i told you what i want .. i just have a problem with the communication uart between the 2 pic .
in all cases thank all .. i gonna find some examples Smile
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:01 am     Reply with quote

mariemee12 wrote:
i told you what i want .. i just have a problem with the communication uart between the 2 pic .
in all cases thank all .. i gonna find some examples Smile

You are not telling us what your UART communication problem is.

Is it hardware or software?
What kind of messages do you want to pass from the 18F to the 16F?
What kind of messages do you want to pass from the 16F to the 18F?
What does each PIC do with the messages?

As a test only you could use a MAX232 on each TX line and send all messages to a PC via RS232 to USB links.
Display all the messages in separate windows on the PC.
That way you will be able to 'listen in' on all the comms.

Mike
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:53 am     Reply with quote

Mike is 100% correct about using the MAX232 ! By breaking down the project into 'segments', you'll be able to use a PC/terminal program to verify each 'segment' work properly.
After that you'll be able to insert your 1.3Km of wire and the project will be 100% 'up and running'

hth
jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: